Monday, April 26, 2010

Food Versatility

Food versatility is the best. Some foods that I consider versatile, in the sense that they compliment many types of foods whether in side dishes or pairings, are the chickpea, avocado, banana, feta cheese, and fruit jam. Also, the egg. When I was home for Easter, I made hummus and guacamole for our big family party. The hummus was pretty standard; however, I don't mind saying that I took the guac to whole new levels. Check out the ingredients I used:



You will see the traditional avocado, the tomatoes, the lemon, the onion, and the garlic. But what is that bottom left yellow ingredient? My friends, it is the pineapple, and the avocado simply embraced the tropical fruit into its mushy depths like a long-lost pal.



The sweet tangy chunks added a whole new dimension to the family party staple dip.



Who can resist the creamy greenness? Or brownness for that matter. The hummus turned out wonderfully. It was my second attempt at making the dip, and first time I found success in my attempt.



Chickpeas, garlic, tahini, salt, tomatoes, salt, and salt.



So speaking of versatility, I am curious to know what other people have encountered in guacamole or hummus. Some odd ingredients that I have included in a homemade guac, depending on my mood that day, include grapefruit instead of lime or lemon (eh, it was okay- not enough sour methinks), pineapple (as shown above), and curry powder (!). This is why I am talking about versatility, flexibility. The avocado is just as happy chillin' with some sweet tropical fruit as it is doing a spicy dance with curry flavoring. Now, that is my kind of fruit!

6 comments:

  1. I love the pictures on this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you use any oils for the guacamole? Most people like to use Olive oil. I rarely have guacamole, the days that I have it though.. which varies in order to keep my fat intake ratio properly.. I usually use fish oil lemon flavor instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. or like my family does..adding whole pomegranate seeds on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been experimenting with avocado a lot lately, but I never thought to mix it with pineapple. What a great idea! Thanks for the tips.

    Kate
    http://relishtherussian.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hummus with artichokes - now that is one to try.

    ReplyDelete