Monday, April 5, 2010

Is food spiritual?

Eating can be a very transcendent experience for me. An ingredient, smell, or particular taste has the power to transport me back in time and/or space. The nibble of a boiled artichoke leaf dipped in lemon and oil sends me back to my apartment in downtown Santiago, Chile, as I enjoy the first course of a lavish lunch with La Nana and Loreto, home from work for a midday meal. The smell of milk and cereal at times has the ability to place me in our kitchen overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in Fountainstown, Ireland, where I lived with my family for five months in 1994. A particularly salty clump of rice can transport me to Kenya and Dagoretti 4 Kids, the red brick boys' home where we feasted with fingers on potatoes and rice-- and the occasional liver if the home was ahead on finances that week-- each day for our main meal.

In short, food-- flavors, textures, preparation methods-- has the power to connect humans with other people around the world. Oftentimes, a particular dish can reflect the culture from which it comes-- its characteristics, spices, and customs. Food often unites me with diverse groups and geographic locations that I have encountered in my travels. Journeys of the mind and memory, sparked by a certain bite of a distinct cuisine previously digested, reflect the physical journeys and adventures I have embarked on throughout my lifetime.

In this blog, I will explore the intricately abstract yet almost tangible relationship between food, place, and memory: a relationship that can be defined vaguely as cherry drifting.

1 comment:

  1. I agree so much that food is spiritual, and that sharing it with people is also spiritual. Great blog! I'm excited to watch your journey.

    (I'm also excited that you will be teaching English in Mexico! Some of my favorite food hails from that country....)

    ReplyDelete